Monday, June 23, 2008

I'm not gonna write you a love song

Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock isn't exactly the imagery I would have wanted. "Let us go then, you and I, When the evening is spread out against the sky Like a patient etherised upon a table;...Streets that follow like a tedious argument Of insidious intent"(1194-1195). This isn't the romantic date I would think to come to me from my lover. An etherised body is under absolute "sleep" almost dead to allow for work to be done on the individual. Does that suggest that he wants the love to be so close to death that he could doctor it? Or that the night should be so dead that they not be disturbed. Onto the cheap hotels no one wants to be brought to be shown insidious intent by the city. I hear the slums ringing through and through. The smog is personifyed similar to cat behavior. The yellow fog being the fur, rubbing his body against the cool window pane. This love song doesn't seem to be about the person he is with, but rather a song of all the things on Prufrock's mind. He talks of all the time they will have. Time to meet the world and fo everything they have ever wanted to. Even time to make toast and tea. Something that would seems trivial to us, but to him with his love a serious situation.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I agree that this is not the typical love song, but I interpreted it a little differently than you. I thought that Prufrock was arguing with himself through out the entire poem about all of his imperfections. I thought that he wanted to go meet a girl to perhaps start a love story, but he was to uncomfortable with himself to do so. I did enjoy reading all of your thoughts on the symbolism you saw...I never viewed it in that manner so it was interesting to look at it from that perspective.

Jonathan.Glance said...

Nicole,

You effectively focus on and explore the specific words and images of the beginning of "Prufrock." Your speculations on the poem present an interesting perspective. I tend to agree with Heather's interpretation of the poem, but I like to see you are thinking about the text.

jholtz11 said...

I like how you tied in a recent song title to the poem...
It drew me in and made me realize that Prufrock wasnt talking about a woman but life in general.

Michelle said...

The imagery in this poem is a quite strange. I don't find a etherized body romantic at all, so either its about life in general , or perhaps this man has uninviting intentions for his date/love. If this was perhaps the lyrics in a modern love song then I would stay away from the artist.