Monday, June 23, 2008

Impression du Matin

So...maybe its just me but Oscar Wilde loves colors. His use of color paints a picture not of the nature itself, but of the emotion of color. The footnote explains that the poem is about the painting by the French Impressionists. To go from a blue and gold nightime musical to harmonious gray suggests to me a sadness that comes in darkness. However again in the footnotes the idea that harmonies come from daytime in the James Whistler pieces and nocturnes being the night scenes. The musical connotation of this piece has me intrigued. As a singer myself, the word nocturne evokes a somber feel to me. The blue and golds would be the low and high keys of the music. The treble carrying the stars in the sky while the Thames itself is the low keys of blue. He then proceeds his color palette by adding ochre, which I had to look up I'm not ashamed, to find its like a brownish blonde color. This gives a distinct feeling to the hay, because some hay is a dirty brown, dingy from rain or feedings. This particular hay is brilliant and vibrant. The music continues in his placement of bells, through clanging. "Then suddenly arose the clang Of waking life; the streets stirred..." 831. This is the creation of music through life to me. Life being the sweetest symphony created, but not created in the sense of music on paper, but the movements we make in our lives.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Nicole,

Very insightful comments and observations here on Wilde's poem. I love the way you incorporate your experience as a singer into your discussion. I think you do a nice job of paying close attention to the text, although I would differ with your final point--I don't think Wilde's choice of the word "clang" lends itself to seeing dawn as like a symphony. (Or if it is one, it is discordant and out of tune.)