Monday, June 2, 2008

Romantics and Wollstonecraft

Well its been a long time I feel since my last post. My life has been a little hectic these days filled with graduations and celebrations for my brother. Now that that is all over I feel that I can give more attention to the readings and blogging. My first pass at the readings is somewhat confused.

I am attempting to truly understand the time period as a whole to then understand the ideas of the poetry given by the writers. The perspective of Mary Wollstonecraft seems to be more idealistic compared to that of Burke. However I agree with her ideals because they seem based more on equality for all based on inate liberties. Natural liberties that give everyone the opportunity based on their birthright as a human being not because of their class or status. She believes that Burke's response to the day was at best an embellishment of ideas. I believe she thought that Burke was attempting to strengthen the ideas of class levels by using sarcasm. Wollstonecraft seems to believe in my idea of Romanticism by using the "gothic notions of beauty". I believe that with understanding and using an open mind many issues can be resolved.

I hope to finish this line of thinking very soon...

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Nicole,

I certainly understand that this is a busy time of year, and hard to devote attention to an online course. I am glad to see you have started your readings and blog posts about them.

You have some interesting thoughts about Mary Wollstonecraft's ideals and reactions to Burke here, but I would very much like to see you develop them further. Don't rely on summary and paraphrase, for instance, but quote specific passages to show what you mean about Wollstonecraft's views or beliefs, and then discuss those quotations. As a rule of thumb, your discussion of a quotation should be at least as long as the passage you quote, and should key in on particular words and images. Also, if you juxtapose two authors' views, as you do here with Burke and Wollstonecraft, you should quote from both of them and discuss how those passages illustrate and demonstrate the differences between the two authors. Finally, when you quote a passage, as yo do with the phrase "gothic notions of beauty," provide some context for the passage before you quote so your reader can understand what it is about (don't assume your reader has memorized the text); after the quotation, provide a parenthetical citation with a page number (or, for poetry, a line number) so your reader can find that passage in the anthology.

These practices will make your posts more effective and successful. You are off to an OK start here, but I think your blog can be really good with some tweaking of your approach.